Monday, October 11, 2010

French Fries...



                
                    My Monday mundane was quite boring and suddenly I got hungry and craved for French Fries. So I asked my dorm-mates who wanted to order food with me. Then after calling at the fast food delivery, I waited in the common area. As I was waiting I wondered where French Fries came from, was it from France? That's why they called it French Fries?. So I searched in the internet for information.
                  I found out that French-fried potatoes are thin strips of deep-fried potato. North Americans often refer to any elongated pieces of fried potatoes as fries, while in other parts of the world, most notably the United Kingdom  AustraliaIreland and New Zealand, long, thinly cut slices of fried potatoes are called fries to distinguish them from the thickly cut strips called chips.French fries are known as frites or pommes frites in French, a name which is also used in many non-French-speaking areas, and have names that mean "fried potatoes" or "French potatoes" in others.
                  The French term 'frite' (passive past participle of frire) in 'pommes de terre frites' unambiguously denotes deep frying, unlike the English 'fried', which may also refer to sautéing or pan-frying, so 'French fried' may simply mean 'deep-fried'. Thomas Jefferson at a White House dinner in 1802 served "potatoes served in the French manner". In the early 20th century, the term "French fried" was being used for foods such as onion rings orchicken, apart from potatoes.
                   I was also amazed how certain countries call their French Fries. In France and French speaking Canada, fried potatoes are called "pommes de terres frites" , "pommes frites" or more simply (and commonly) "frites", while in  Spain, fried potatoes are called "patatas fritas". Another common form in which the potatoes are cut into irregular shapes and seasoned with a spicy tomato sauce, are called "patatas bravas". There are also variants such as "thick-cut fries", "steak fries", "shoestring fries", "jojo fries", "crinkle fries", and "curly fries". I was totally craving for French Fries. mmmmm...
                 It was fun to know such facts about one of my favorite comfort foods. Then my " waiting in vain craving" was put to an end when our order came just in time for our snack. I enjoyed eating pommes de terres frites! Delicieux!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment